Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Backyard Elements






















Sidenote: I couldn't find what I was hunting for, but the above picture kind of illustrates the idea I had in mind. Instead of the water running down the walkway, imagine a long stone table with a small groove cut along the length of the table. Water would trickle along the center and off the side into a shallow pool.

Backyard: A mish-mash of wispy and angular elements. Zen-like simplicity towards the main patio or deck, then a steady transformation into more of a romantic, whimsical feel. Systematic walkways branching off into a sort of ruinous clutter. As if the yard extends into an unknown habitat, (an organized effort to look unorganized.) I like the idea of secret spots: vine-covered trellises leading to private fountains, private bridges, etc...Perhaps an indoor patio as well, full of herbs and hanging plants. My ideal back yard includes privacy, the ability to entertain in small groups, and secluded retreats for reading, writing, etc...

(I apologize for not being more diligent in keeping track of all the sources for every picture. Mainly, it was popular sites like HGTV, Lowe's, Dezeen, and Pottery Barn, but I also found a spiffy site that's got a lot of great pictures and inspiration; it can be found here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment