Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fashion Pet Peeves

Allow me to rant for a second. I'm not claiming to be a fashion expert, and I'm not saying that people should be punished for wearing trendy things, but there are certain folks, (especially in El Paso, especially at the Yeah Yeah Yeahs show last night,) that really have no idea how ridiculous they look. I know that particular women can pull off particular things; the models in the pictures below don't look half bad, and I probably wouldn't cringe if I saw them in public, but I'm bothered by the people that really have no idea how to make a current style work for them, (or when a certain style will never work for them.) Granted, I had my moments of questionable attire, so I'm not in any way innocent, but I don't know...after seeing the club crowd in my area last night, I can't help but feel slightly bitter towards the general scene these days.

Here are a few current trends that make me sad:

5. Summer Scarves.

Scarves are not a bad accessory, I own a few myself, but I wear them in winter weather. I'm sure scarves fit in nicely where cooler temperatures exist year round, like San Francisco, but when it's 100 degrees outside, I fail to see why anyone would want to wear something like this.







4. Uggs or any fuzzy boots over your jeans.

Thankfully there's not much of this going on at the moment due to warmer weather, but it's definitely become popular over the last few winter seasons. I really don't know why I dislike this so much...it just looks silly to me. When I think of jeans tucked into boots, I think equestrian, European; and when done right, boots and jeans can look very classy. But in EL PASO, where the nearest ski resort is hours away, and really not that popular among locals, how do you justify wearing ski boots?




3. Leggings and long shirts.

I saw a lot of this last night. I really don't know if this could be worn in any way that says, "timeless," because to me, leggings belong in the eighties, with metal bands and large, large hair. A lot of the time, I see this on very short girls, and it does nothing for their figures...they're so tiny that the shirt might as well be a dress. Or, this is worn by women that are large, and the delicate balance of loose and tight is totally lost.





2. The Emo Haircut

This looks like a modern version of the mullet. Why leave it thicker and shorter on top, and allow a few stringy tentacles to dangle towards the bottom? Is it short or long? It looks scraggly. I can't understand why on earth a person would find this attractive. Sometimes I see pieces of it pulled back into a ponytail, cluttered with bobby pins and clips, and it gives off a general air of sloppiness. I imagine it took them a while to get it just right, but it makes girls appear lazy and unkempt.




1. Cigarette Jeans with High Heels

I cannot stand the bunched up look of gathered material hanging over high shoes. I've been seeing it more and more in the past month, and most of the women wearing this in El Paso cannot walk in high heels. It looks so incredibly ridiculous. The pants are too long; they could possibly redeem themselves as being form-fitting, but the bottoms make it look like the wearer is completely ignorant of their own height. I've never been a fan of skinny jeans, because there are only a handful of people capable of making it work for their body type. Those that do, I applaud you, but please keep them a decent length.

Note: Despite some of the above images, I have nothing against Urban Outfitters--they have a great range of styles, and their home decor selection is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment