Tuesday, September 8, 2009

President Obama's Speech

I try not to bring many personal opinions or emotions into this blog, but I must say that I find the uproar surrounding President Obama's speech to our nation's youth pretty ridiculous. Our school districts are requiring signed parent permission slips in order to watch his speech, and if a parent is against it, that child is required to sit it out in the campus's library. One district is even pre-screening the speech, and if they approve of it's content, it will be distributed via tape.

This morning, a local radio station invited callers to voice their opinion, and I was appalled to hear what some people had to say. Do they honestly think that our President is capable of brainwashing children? Half of the kids in school these days are never even told by their parents that an education is important. Granted, not everyone will be an astronaut, not everyone will be a football star, but to hear encouragement from a person that has made something of himself does not strike me as cause for concern.

I've never really been big on politics, so whether this was George Washington or George Bush, I'd say the same thing. I just find it a waste of time to be so cautious about something so trivial...I mean, hell, my grandmother grew up in Nazi Germany, and no one ever gave them the option of sitting out Hitler's speeches. What's the big deal?

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes!Obama speak Yes!Yes!Yes!...I want be withe!!! I want be Kennedy!!! I want be...why?!...I dont know!!!...AMERICAAMERICA!!!

    and for you!...

    "this infamy.O my prince is delicious!"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I normally don't give a hoot about politics, but this particular issue seems so insane. it's frustrating how divisive politics is, how angry and bitter and reactionary it makes the participants. EVERYTHING the "other side" does is WRONG, and ... it's just scary. scary how small-minded and petty everybody becomes. and over what? sigh.

    but I think we're looking at the future of politics in the US. I think we've long since passed the time when people could just grin and bear it with respect to the other party being in power. now everybody just wants to rant and scream and be upset constantly. the internet and twitter and all that is just like gasoline on the fire...

    (also, wtf is up with the comment above?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I notice it more because I'm older, but it seems like in the days of Kennedy and Roosevelt, the country put more faith into the position of President. Nowadays it almost seems like a joke...the general population seems so threatened and suspicious of the government that there's rarely any unity between people.

    And yeah, speaking of suspicion, the above comment gave me an odd terrorist vibe...what's with the quote at the end?

    ReplyDelete